Sunday, May 31, 2015

EMTBOC 2015: Meet Baptiste Fuchs (France)




Name: Baptiste Fuchs
Age: 28
Home location: La Rochette, France
Profession and educational background: Physical Education teacher.
Years in sport of any kind: Road cycling for 15 years, snowboard for 5 years, judo for 7 years. And also cross skiing, climbing and paragliding.
Years in MTBO: 4 years.
What got you started: I started with an invitation for a FootO night race by team. Night orienteering was a really “magical” experience and I enjoyed the vibes. I had stopped the road cycling two years ago and I found in Orienteering a sport that fitted with my taste and interest.
IOF World Ranking: 4th position
MTBO World Cup 2015: 3rd position



What is your best moment in MTB Orienteering so far?
- My first WOC silver medal in 2014 in Poland. My best result until then had been the 7th place in a World Cup stage and to get that medal was really unexpected for me!

Where do you draw your inspiration from?
- I think that we can learn from everyone and I try to find the best in every athlete around me.

What one or two things do you currently do in your training that are keys to your success?
- Pleasure and training hard in quality.

What are your goals for the European Championships, in Portugal?
- A top 6 will be a good result for me but I hope for a medal. If I make a good race, without mistakes, I think that I can get a podium because my shape is very good at the moment.

What is your biggest challenge in the competition, and how do you intend to manage it?
- My mind! If I can being concentrated during all the competition, without thinking in the result, without pressure, just for the pleasure, I think that I can make a good race.

What would be your ultimate achievement for the season?
- Get a podium in the World Cup 2015 overall.

Do you have a saying or motto that you live your life by?
- Live each day as if it was the last.

Anything else you’d like to share?
- My English is very bad, but I try to cure myself (laughs). The speaker is an insurmountable challenge for me and also because I would like to discuss more with my opponents after the race.

[Photo credits: Thibaud Guelennoc]
Joaquim Margarido
  

No comments:

Post a Comment