Friday, May 29, 2015

EMTBOC 2015: Meet Bernhard Schachinger (Austria)




Name: Bernhard Schachinger
Age: 31
Home location: Ried and Graz, Austria
Profession and educational background: University degree Geomatics, employed at Microsoft since 2008
Years in sport of any kind: 30 years
Years in MTBO: About 12 years.
What got you started: An injury that kept me from running.
IOF World Ranking: 23rd position
MTBO World Cup 2015: 18th position



What is your best moment in MTB Orienteering so far?
- The Relay bronze medal at the World Championships in Hungary, definitely.

Where do you draw your inspiration from?
- I spend most of my time in the office or on business trips and I need sports for relaxing and refuelling the brain. MTBO is a nice challenge, both physically and mentally, so it’s perfect to calm down after work.

What one or two things do you currently do in your training that are keys to your success?
- I try to use every single minute as efficient as possible; otherwise I could not do the sport at this level in parallel to the job.

What are your goals for the European Championships, in Portugal?
- A medal in the Relay competition.

What is your biggest challenge in the competition, and how do you intend to manage it?
- Sometimes I need to work hard to stay focused and concentrated on the map and on the upcoming controls, especially on the longer distances. And I should consider the route choices more carefully.

What would be your ultimate achievement for the season?
- I hope to improve my rankings in the World Cup, World Championships and European Championships, compared to the last seasons.

[Photo credits: Rainer Burmann]
Joaquim Margarido
  

No comments:

Post a Comment