Monday, May 25, 2015

EMTBOC 2015: Meet Camilla Søgaard (Dinamarca)




Name: Camilla Søgaard
Age: 23
Home location: Aarhus, Denmark
Profession and educational background: Studying Sport Science at the University.
Years in sport of any kind: I have been running orienteering since I was 10 and riding MTBO since I was 19. The last 2 years I have also done some Adventure Racing.
Years in MTBO: 5 years.
What got you started: Actually I hated to bike when I was a kid, but problems with my knee three winters in a row when I was on the junior foot-o national team, forced me to train on the bike. After competing in some national MTBO races by request from my brother Rasmus and also participating in JWOC in Italy 2011, I was all into MTBO.
IOF World Ranking: 15th position



What is your best moment in MTB Orienteering so far?
- Winning medals on your own or together with the team is always a big thing, and I’m especially happy for my bronze medal from WOC last summer at the long distance. But winning the bronze medal at the unofficial sprint mix relay together with my brother also means a lot to me, because he really deserves to be up there.

Where do you draw your inspiration from?
- From the national team and my friends.

What one or two things do you currently do in your training that are keys to your success?
- If I had got this question last autumn I would have said - a lot of XCO training, but then I got a knee injury, which I wasn’t too good to listen to. At last I could finally start riding again, but then I crashed and got an concussion, so right now I have to listen very carefully to my head and only do what “it says is okay”.

What are your goals for the European Championships, in Portugal?
- Riding some controlled and clever races and see where it brings me. Try not to get too frustrated because Im physically far from where I want to be at this time of the year.

What is your biggest challenge in the competition, and how do you intend to manage it?
- Usually I often ride too fast for my orienteering so I make some stupid mistakes, but even though the speed is lower now I still have to focus a lot on the map.

What would be your ultimate achievement for the season?
- Getting a medal either individual or together with the relay team despite the shitty start of the season.

Do you have a saying or motto that you live your life by?
- Do what you love and do it often!

[Photo credits: Robert Vorvaň Urbaník]
Joaquim Margarido

No comments:

Post a Comment