Saturday, May 23, 2015

EMTBOC 2015: Meet Hana Garde (France)




Name: Hana Garde
Age: 31
Home location: Pélussin, France
Profession and educational background: Financial Controller at Thales Angénieux.
Years in sport of any kind: 20 years.
Years in MTBO: 12 years.
What got you started: I started in Foot orienteering at the age of 14, as member of the Slovak youth and junior national team. In 2005, the World MTBO Championships were in Slovakia and I was asked if I wanted to participate. It was a new challenge for me (I had to buy a better mountain bike and start to bike seriously!). The good results (6th and 8th place in individual races) motivated me to continue.
Other personal information you would like to share: I have a 2 years old daughter, Alena.

IOF World Ranking: 11th position
MTBO World Cup 2015: 9th position



What is your best moment in MTB Orienteering so far?
- The WMTBOC Sprint race, in Israel. One of the best races in my life, I lost less than 30 seconds over the whole race and won my second gold.

Where do you draw your inspiration from?
- Nature! There are so many beautiful spots all around that motivates me to training (it’s one of the reasons why I don't like athletics and running in a stadium). And the possibility to discover new terrains far from home.

What one or two things do you currently do in your training that are keys to your success?
- First of all, enjoy the training! I am not a professional rider; I am doing this sport for pleasure. I like different kinds of physical training, with varying intensity - I find it very playful!

What are your goals for the European Championships, in Portugal?
- Well, I have a few medals from the World Championships but still missing one from the European Championships. One of my last challenges (laughs).

What is your biggest challenge in the competition, and how do you intend to manage it?
- Adapt the speed according to the map difficulty.

What would be your ultimate achievement for the season?
- Have a perfect race on the right moment and see the result (laughs).

Do you have a saying or motto that you live your life by?
- Nothing is impossible!

Anything else you’d like to share?
- This year we have created a team with our French colleagues: Team Elite MTBO. I would like to thank all our partners that help us to have a better performance this year. And also to my family that takes care of our daughter while training and competing.

[Photo credits: Yoann Garde]
Joaquim Margarido

No comments:

Post a Comment