Friday, May 22, 2015

EMTBOC 2015: Meet Hans Jørgen Kvåle (Norway)




Name: Hans Jørgen Kvåle
Age: 25
Home location: Brandbu, Norway
Profession and educational background: Jobseeker, Master degree in Sport Science.
Years in sport of any kind: 25 years. I "attended" my first O-ringen when I was 7 months. From I was a little child I was introduced to all sports possible to do at Brandbu where I grew up. Examples: cycling, track and field, orienteering, xc skiing, ski-orienteering, gymnastics, handball, kayaking, ski jumping, etc.
Years in MTBO: 6 years.
What got you started: I attended JWMTBOC in Denmark in 2009 as it was the best summer preparations for the coming skiO season. Here I found out how much I enjoyed MTBO and that I also had some talent for it.
Other personal information you would like to share: I am now stepping down as an elite athlete. I will still be racing this MTBO season, but I am not planning on racing ski-orienteering on the top level any more. It has been a very hard decision, but 10 years of being "full time" athlete has been enough for me. It is time to try to make the budget go in + for a change.
IOF World Ranking: 6th position
MTBO World Cup 2015: 13th position



What is your best moment in MTB Orienteering so far?
- Every race I see Emily [Benham] succeed and the World Championships sprint last year.

Where do you draw your inspiration from?
- At the moment my inspiration for training comes from training with Emily and not to gain too much fat and maintain my fitness level as well as possible after I started to reduce my training. When it is race time the motivation comes from the wish for doing the optimal race with perfect flow.

What one or two things do you currently do in your training that are keys to your success?
- I have a really strong base after many years of hard training. My biggest challenge now is to do training that motivates and enjoys me. My biggest key to success is that I never want to do anything half way and I have a lot of creativity to reach the goal.

What are your goals for the European Championships, in Portugal?
- I have always found it hard to set results goals for MTBO since my shape often varies a lot in the summer. My biggest goal will of course be the sprint. Norway will also for the first time have a Relay team in the European Championships this year. Unfortunately I cannot make a sprint relay team with Emily... (yet)

What is your biggest challenge in the competition, and how do you intend to manage it?
- My biggest challenge is to keep my concentration up when it gets boring. The more technical it is, the less mistakes I will do.

What would be your ultimate achievement for the season?
- To have fun, find my flow in the most important competitions and defend my WOC gold.

Do you have a saying or motto that you live your life by?
- You don't get more fun than you create yourself (norwegian saying).

Anything else you’d like to share?
- I really hope to see some big developments in our sport, all disciplines of orienteering, the coming years which will give the athletes the visibility and credit they deserve. This will hopefully help the national federations and teams to recruit new athletes and offer their top athletes better conditions to develop. I hope I can be involved in this process and give the coming athletes an easier and more sustainable orienteering career.

[Photo credits: SportFoto.lt]
Joaquim Margarido

No comments:

Post a Comment