Tuesday, May 26, 2015

EMTBOC 2015: Meet Pekka Niemi (Finland)




Name: Pekka Niemi
Age: 24
Home location: Sastamala, Finland
Profession and educational background: Student, electrical engineering.
Years in sport of any kind: About 17 years.
Years in MTBO: 10 years.
What got you started: I liked orienteering and I enjoyed the speed when riding a bike.
IOF World Ranking: 9th position
MTBO World Cup 2015: 10th position



What is your best moment in MTB Orienteering so far?
- I have many. The World Junior Championships in Portugal 2010 is one of them. Last year's best moment was winning the World Cup mass start, in Denmark.

Where do you draw your inspiration from?
- Difficult question. I like MTB and orienteering brings nice challenge for sport. It´s very interesting to notice how my body reacts to different kind of trainings.

What one or two things do you currently do in your training that are keys to your success?
- I do mountain bike rides on aerobic pace. I trust for that training method. I think strength trainings are important also.

What are your goals for the European Championships, in Portugal?
- I just want to be in good shape physically and orienteer well.

What is your biggest challenge in the competition, and how do you intend to manage it?
- Route choices. I train them in Portugal right now

What would be your ultimate achievement for the season?
- I would like to be a little better than last season. I want to learn to time my shape much better, that's big thing for me.

[Photo credits: Elina Erkkilä]
Joaquim Margarido

No comments:

Post a Comment