Tuesday, June 02, 2015

EMTBOC 2015: Meet Davide Machado (Portugal)




Name: Davide Machado
Age: 27
Home location: Jamor – Lisbon, Portugal
Profession and educational background: Student.
Years in sport of any kind: 15 years.
Years in MTBO: 7 years.
What got you started: Foot orienteering and Mountaineering.
Other personal information you would like to share: I love the Sport in general.
IOF World Ranking: 31st position



What is your best moment in MTB Orienteering so far?
- The World Championships in Italy 2011, although the first experience has been in Montalegre in 2010. But the 5th place in the Long Distance and the 6th place in the Sprint, achieved in Italy, were undoubtedly the best moments so far. The event itself, also contributed for this very special moment!

Where do you draw your inspiration from?
- Daniel Marques has always been my biggest inspiration in MTBO. His technical quality still impresses me today. Internationally, I would mention Erik Skovgaard Knudsen as my inspiration.

What one or two things do you currently do in your training that are keys to your success?
- The commitment to training and the passion for what you do, mainly. I think this is the key to any kind of success!

What are your goals for the European Championships, in Portugal?
- Well, about that, unfortunately I broke my right foot last April 1st and I was forced to stop until now. I've returned to training, but I have to be realistic and consider that the initial goals to the European Championships (top 5) are not possible anymore. I'll be in the European Championships with only two weeks of training and still very conditioned. However, despite not setting any goals, I won't give up and I'll do my best, as always!

What is your biggest challenge in the competition, and how do you intend to manage it?
- Generally, the biggest challenge in a MTB orienteering race is the map reading and the route choice, i.e., the technical part. However, for this event (European), I think the difficult part for me (and this is everything but normal) will be the physical one. The terrains at Idanha-a-Nova are physically demanding and the expected heat will not help those who are not in the best shape, as is my case. Still, I'll bet more on the technical part, as I'm not able to ride too quickly.

What would be your ultimate achievement for the season?
- The main goal has become now the World Championships, in the Czech Republic. I will make a specific preparation to this event and I'll try to achieve my ultimate goals there. The races will take place in a very complicated and difficult terrain, but I'll try, at least, one top 8!

Do you have a saying or motto that you live your life by?
- Be sure that what you do and how do you do it makes you happy.

Anything else you’d like to share?
- I keep the dream of achieving a medal in a World Championships!

[Photo credits: facebook.com / MTBOworlds2014]
Joaquim Margarido
  

No comments:

Post a Comment