Tuesday, June 09, 2015

EMTBOC 2015: Meet Tobias Breitschädel (Austria)




Name: Tobias Breitschädel
Age: 36
Home location: Vienna, Austria
Profession and educational background: Facility Manager of an office Tower in Vienna.
Years in sport of any kind: 25 years.
Years in MTBO: 9 years.
What got you started: Knee injuries in Foot orienteering.
IOF World Ranking: 25th position
MTBO World Cup 2015: 20th position



What is your best moment in MTB Orienteering so far?
- Well, there were a few. I think the happiest ones were the 2 bronze medals with the relay team because we could celebrate together. But I am waiting for the very best moment: the gold in Relay!

Where do you draw your inspiration from?
- Riding my bike – doesn’t matter where and when and under what weather - I can break out the hard life at work and relax. To feel exhausted after a beautiful ride is priceless and worthy of doing it again and again.

What one or two things do you currently do in your training that are keys to your success?
- At the moment I just do relatively low quantity due to lots of work and to my family life, so I concentrate on the quality of my riding.

What are your goals for the European Championships, in Portugal?
- A diploma in an individual race and a medal in the relay (mission heavy metal 2.0).

What is your biggest challenge in the competition, and how do you intend to manage it?
- Well, I crashed about two weeks ago so my right thumb got badly injured and it hurts when I want to shift the gears. I think I'm not only going to have pain in my lungs and legs but also in my hand, so I need lots of adrenaline not to feel it because it's not possible to put a bandage on it.

What would be your ultimate achievement for the season?
- It may sound a bit weird but I want to win the overall Austria Cup in Elite a 5th time to equalize Didi Dörflers record and to be the national record owner with him then.

Do you have a saying or motto that you live your life by?
- Since I already had five serious knee injuries followed by operations and very long periods of recovery, I kept myself saying that “it doesn't matter how often you fall down, you just have to stand up once again”. It is actually so easy! (laughs)

Anything else you’d like to share?
- I wish all the riders good luck for the races, stay healthy and enjoy the steepness of this part of Portugal!

[Photo courtesy: Tobias Breitschädel]
Joaquim Margarido

No comments:

Post a Comment