Wednesday, June 10, 2015

EMTBOC 2015: Meet Tuomo Lahtinen (Finland)





Name: Tuomo Lahtinen
Age: 24
Home location: Heinola, Finland
Profession and educational background: Entrepreneur, Personal Trainer
Years in sport of any kind: Since I was a child. I started Orienteering at the age of 5.
Years in MTBO: From 2009/2010.
What got you started: I tried MTBO in 2007 and 2008. I was third in my first competition, at the Finnish national championships. After a few years without great success in Foot orienteering I decided to move to MTBO.
IOF World Ranking: 28th position
MTBO World Cup 2015: 36th position



What is your best moment in MTB Orienteering so far?
- The best moment so far was last year when I stood on the podium. I managed to do my best in WMTBOC Relay, along with the other team members. We were second in the Relay. That was my first WMTBOC medal but not the last one.

Where do you draw your inspiration from?
- Orienteering is a part of my life. I enjoy Orienteering very much. That is my inspiration and motivation.

What one or two things do you currently do in your training that are keys to your success?
- Hard effort trainings with map, of course. I do my trainings mostly in urban areas with many sharp turns, braking and speeding up constantly.

What are your goals for the European Championships, in Portugal?
- The Sprint distance is my favourite but I’m trying to improve my skills in longer distances as well. From the Relay I expect a medal.

What is your biggest challenge in the competition, and how do you intend to manage it?
- Focus. That is the biggest issue. My focus in orienteering very often fades for a while and I make a major mistake.

What would be your ultimate achievement for the season?
- I’m trying to get better in MTBO. To get better results in every distance and win another medal in the World Championships’ Relay.

Do you have a saying or motto that you live your life by?
- Believe in yourself and you can achieve everything!

[Photo credits: Mika Häkkinen]
Joaquim Margarido

No comments:

Post a Comment