Amazing! This is the best word to define the Sprint stage on the second half of the NAOM’s opening day. Hold at one of the most beautiful places in the World for Sprint distance, the fight was hard in both classes, with Olav Lundanes and Nadiya Volynska getting tasteful victories.
After an intense and rough forest stage, the Orienteering “tribe” moved to the medieval city of Marvão, within which walls took place the Sprint WRE, stage counting for the IOF’s Sprint Orienteering World Ranking. Separated by twelve classes of competition, plus two open classes, almost 500 participants accepted the intense challenge, both technical and physical, through the neverending of narrow streets and little stairs.
In the Men Elite class, Olav Lundanes was unstoppable once again, reaching a win by margin that should be considered misleading, as an oversight of the Ukrainian Oleksandr Kratov led to his disqualification. Otherwise, the final difference between the two athletes, set in 13 seconds, would show more correctly what happened in the cold afternoon of Marvão. In second place, the young Spaniard Eduardo Gil was a pleasant surprise, reaching the second position just one minute after Lundanes. The Estonian Sergei Rjabyshkin was third, with a time of 16:10, while Tiago Romão, in 6th place with a time of 16:57, was the best Portuguese.
Nadyia Volynska, in the Women Elite class, took her revenge from the second-place finish in the morning, reaching the victory with a time of 15:06. The French Léa Vercellotti was second, 15 seconds after Volynska, while the Ukrainian Olha Panchenko got the third place, with more 30 seconds than the winner. Patricia Casalinho was the best Portuguese athlete, finishing in 5th place with a time of 17:53.
Men Elite class (3.0 km, 24 controls)
1. Olav Lundanes (NOR Halden SK) 14:58
2. Eduardo Gil (ESP Frontela-O) 15:58
3. Sergei Rjabyshkin (EST Paimion Rasti) 16:10
4. Artem Panchenko (UKR IFK Mora) 16:27
5. Daniel Portal (ESP CODAN Extremadura) 16:48
6. Tiago Romão (GafanhOri) 16:57
7. Miguel Silva (CMo Funchal) 17:01
8. Valentin Novikov (Russia) 17:20
9. Alvaro Prieto (ESP Malarruta) 18:20
9. Diogo Miguel (Ori-Estarreja) 18:20
Women Elite class (2.4 km, 18 controls)
1. Nadiya Volynska (UKR OK Orion) 15:06
2. Léa Vercellotti (FRA Maximus) 15:21
3. Olha Panchenko (UKR IFK Mora) 15:36
4. Yulia Novikova (Russia) 16:28
5. Patricia Casalinho (COC) 17:53
6. Ekaterina Savkina (RUS ESSU) 18:17
7. Magalie Cordeiro Mendes (COC) 19:08
8. Yevheniya Chystyakova (Maximus) 20:25
9. Catarina Ruivo (COC) 20:37
10. Maiki Jaadmaa (EST OK Võru) 20:47
Complete results and further information at http://www.gd4caminhos.com/en/.