The night fall quite quickly, bringing with it the storm. But who cares? The Urban Night Sprint was a great fun and everybody enjoyed it. Two great races for Tiago Gingão Leal and Lone Karin Brochmann, king and queen of the night.
The narrow and steepy streets up to Penamacor's medieval quarter suddenly filled of “lighted” people running in every directions. More than 700 hundred athletes participated this Saturday in the Urban Night Sprint, despite the rain that start falling the early evening, swept away by a strong wind. Although the everything but optimal conditions, the participants made a point of taking the party enthusiastically, concluding the first day of POM in the best way.
Portuguese Sprint Champion, Tiago Gingão Leal (GD4C) proved once more his good shape, winning emphatically the Men Super Elite class, against a large set of strong opponents. Gingão Leal spent 20:12, less 16 seconds than the Swedish Gustav Bergman (OK Ravinen) and 34 seconds than the Spanish Antonio Martinez, second and third respectively. The Women Elite class saw the Norwegian Lone Karin Brochmann (Bækkelagets SK) took the victory in 23:08, against 23:25 of the Russian Svetlana Mironova (KooVee), second placed. The third position went to the Russian Anastasia Rudnaya, with more 22 seconds than Brochmann. In this class, Raquel Costa (GafanhOri) was the best Portuguese in the 14th position, with the time of 26:39.
Men Super Elite
1. Tiago Gingão Leal (GD4C) 20:12 (+ 00:00)
2. Gustav Bergman (OK Ravinen) 20:28 (+ 00:16)
3. Antonio Martinez (Colivenc) 20:46 (+ 00:34)
4. Andreu Blanes (Colivenc) 21:58 (+ 01:46)
5. Fabian Hertner (Kalevan Rasti) 22:23 (+ 02:11)
1. Lone Karin Brochmann (Bækkelagets SK) 23:08 (00:00)
2. Svetlana Mironova (KooVee) 23:25 (00:17)
3. Anastasia Rudnaya (MSP) 23:30 (+ 00:22)
4. Anina Bruner (Bussola OK) 23:35 (+ 00:27)
5. Kine Gulliksen (Bækkelagets SK) 23:47 (00:39)
Full results and further information on the event's webpage, at www.pom.pt/en.