Inês Domingues and Cláudio Poiares were the big winners of the Preo Palmela Invacare 2016. In the last race before the European Championships, both managed to get tasty wins, reaching their first victory ever in a PreO competition.
One week before the European Trail Orienteering Championships ETOC 2016, Palmela hosted the Portuguese TrailO League Invacare 2016's 7th stage. Organized by ADFA – Associação dos Deficientes das Forças Armadas and the Portuguese Orienteering Federation, the event took place in Vale de Barris, revisiting Serra do Louro and the terrains of the previous European Championships in this discipline, held in Portugal in April 2014.
In the Open Class, the fight for victory was really intense, with Inês Domingues (COC) winning with 18 points out of 20 and an overall time of 19 seconds in the timed controls. World top athlete in the TempO, Inês Domingues comes to win a Portuguese League's stage for the second time in her career, the first ever in a PreO competition. The Spanish Miguel Ángel Garcia (ADOL) managed to meddle in the fight for the victory, ending his race in a surprising second place with the same points as the winner, eventually being penalized by the time spending time in the timed controls. Nuno Pires (Ori-Estarreja) got the third place with 17 points - the same number of points as six other competitors - and an excellent performance in the timed dontrols. Luís Gonçalves and João Pedro Valente, both from CPOC - and part of the Portuguese team that will be heading Jesenik, Czech Republic, in a few days for ETOC 2016 -, finished in the 4th and 6th positions, respectively.
In the Paralympic class, Cláudio Poiares (DAHP) was the big winner with 15 points out of 20. Having his first participation on 5th April 2014, in Lisbon, the talented athlete has been looking for his first win in the Portuguese League for a long time. Here it is now, with full merit, representing a valuable prize to his perseverance and resilience. Júlio Guerra (DAHP) and Alexandre Guedes da Silva (Individual) achieved the immediate places, both with 13 points. Undisputed leader of the Portuguese TrailO League Invacare 2016, Ricardo Pinto (DAHP) was far below the expectations, finishing in the 5th place with the same points of 2nd placed, but ended up being heavily penalized by a disastrous performance in the timed controls.
1. Inês Domingues (COC) 18/20 points (19 seconds)
2. Miguel Ángel Garcia (ADOL) 18/20 (100 seconds)
3. Nuno Pires (Ori-Estarreja) 17/20 points (20 seconds)
4. Luis Gonçalves (CPOC) 17/20 points (25 seconds)
5. Nuno Rebelo (Ori-Estarreja) 17/20 points (92 seconds)
6. João Pedro Valente (CPOC) 17/20 points (103 seconds)
1. Cláudio Poiares (DAHP) 15/20 points (159 seconds)
2. Júlio Guerra (DAHP) 13/20 points (27 seconds)
3. Alexandre Guedes da Silva (Individual) 13/20 points (37 seconds)
4. José Laiginha Leal (DAHP) 13/20 points (125 seconds)
5. Ricardo Pinto (DAHP) 13/20 points (146 seconds)
6. Ana Paula Marques (DAHP) 6/20 points (43 seconds)
[Foto: Susana Pereira / facebook.com/susana.pereira]