Tim Robertson and Galina Vinogradova were the big winners of Antwerp Sprint Orienteering Meeting ASOM 2016. With a stage scoring for the City Race Euro Tour 2016, the event had the participation of more than three hundred athletes from 20 different countries.
The City Race Euro Tour 2016 started last weekend and, for the second year in a row, the city of Antwerp hosted the inaugural stage. With a prize money of 2,000 euros to distribute for the first five runners in Men Elite and Women Elite for the overall ranking of ASOM 2016, the event featured a start field of high quality, with the Russian Galina Vinogradova and the Belgian Yannick Michiels, the winners of the previous edition, playing the role of major favourites.
Spread over three stages in two days, the ASOM 2016 had in the Antwerp O-City, on the second day, its most exciting stage. With a distance of 6.600 meters in the Men Elite class, the race had in the New Zealander Tim Robertson (Fossum IF) the big winner. After a sequence of good results in recent events, Robertson got a comfortable winning on Yannick Michiels (TROL) by 53 seconds and the Lithuanian Jonas Vytautas Gvildys by 1:48. The women's race had the distance of 5.500 meters and the fight for victory was really tight, with the British Charlotte Ward being stronger than Galina Vinogradova (Alfta Osa OK) by the short difference of 8 seconds. Kirstin Maxwell (RR Scotland) finished third with more two minutes than Ward.
The first day of competition offered two Sprint stages, in which Tim Robertson and Yannick Michiels shared triumphs in the Men Elite class, while Galina Vinogradova reached two comfortable victories in the Women Elite class. Big winners of City Race Euro Tour's last edition, the British Jack Kosky and the Estonian Merill Mägi were absent from this first stage. The second stage of the City Race Euro Tour 2016 will take place in Malaga, Spain, from 2nd to 4th September.
Results Antwerp O-City
1. Tim Robertson (Fossum IF) 33:13 (+ 00:00)
2. Yannick Michiels (TROL) 34:06 (+ 00:53)
3. Jonas Vytautas Gvyldis (Igtisa SK) 35:01 (+ 01:48)
4. Tomas Hendrickx (KOL) 35:07 (+ 01:54)
5. Chris Smithard (Deeside Orienteering Club) 35:32 (+ 02:19)
6. William Gardner (Octavian Droobers) 35:35 (+ 02:22)
7. Rafal Podzinski (UKS Orientus Lodz) 35:38 (+ 02:25)
8. Soren Riechers (Bielefelder TG) 35:44 (+ 02:31)
9. Dane Blomquist (South Yorkshire Orienteers) 36:11 (+ 02:58)
10. Wouter Hus (KOL) 37:38 (+ 04:25)
1. Charlotte Ward (Great Britain) 32:05 (+ 00:00)
2. Galina Vinogradova (Alfta Osa OK) 32:13 (+ 00:08)
3. Kirstin Maxwell (RR Scotland) 34:05 (+ 02:00)
4. Miek Fabre (Omega) 34:07 (+ 02:02)
5. Tekle Emilija Gvildyte (Medeina OK) 34:11 (+ 02:06)
6. Ona Rafols Perramon (CO Catalunya) 34:15 (+ 02:10)
7. Anna Serralonga (TROL) 34:19 (+ 02:14)
8. Lea Vercellotti (Halden SK) 34:52 (+ 02:47)
9. Alicia Friberg (Falkopings AIK) 35:34 (+ 03:29)
10. Barbora Margoldova (Altair) 37:33 (+ 05:28)
Complete results of ASOM 2016 at http://helga-o.com/webres/index.php?lauf=1570.
[Photo: Linda Verbraken / facebook.com/zwartebeestje]