By reaching the Middle Distance and the Sprint titles, Gaëlle Barlet was the big star of the French MTB Orienteering Championships that took place last weekend. In the Men, Baptiste Fuchs and Cédric Beill shared the titles, Fuchs being the fastest in the Middle Distance and Beill winning in the Sprint.
Homeland of the five times World Champion and twice Olympic Champion of Mountain Bike (2004 and 2008), Julien Absalon, Raon-aux-Bois, in the French region of Vosges, hosted the French MTB Orienteering Championships in the distances Middle and Sprint. Organized by LOS - Loisir Orientation Sanchey, the oldest Orienteering club in this region still active, the event counted with the presence of 262 competitors, mostly French, but also Swiss, Norwegian and Luxembourg.
In the Middle Distance race, Gaëlle Barlet (Scapa Nancy) was the winner in the Women Elite class, reaching a two-minute victory over the Swiss Christine Schaffner (Thömus Team Switzerland) and 5 and a half minutes on Lou Denaix (COCS). In the Men Elite class, the Baptiste Fuchs (Tom Meaux) got the winning, with Cédric Beill (CO Colmar) and Yoann Garde (EO 42) to occupy the following positions, with more 2:25 and 4:27, respectively, than the winner. Ending the event's program, the Sprint race saw Gaëlle Barlet getting the second title in a row of French Champion, despite having finished second, 1:16 behind the winner, Christine Schaffner. Lou Denaix was again the third ranked. As for the Men Elite class, Cédric Beill changed positions with Baptiste Fuchs, winning by the narrow margin of 3 seconds. Still at the age of Junior, Florian Pinsard (AS Samois) reached a meritorious third position, 1:08 behind the winner.
1. Baptiste Fuchs (Tom Meaux) 45:55 (+ 00:00)
2. Cédric Beill (CO Colmar) 48:20 (+ 02:25)
3. Yoann Garde (OE 42) 50:22 (+ 04:27)
4. Clément Souvray (ASF VTT) 51:40 (+ 05:45)
5. Jacques Schmidt-Morgenroth (CO Colmar) 53:18 (+ 07:23)
1. Gaëlle Barlet (Scapa Nancy) 51:13 (+ 00:00)
2. Christine Schaffner (Thömus Team Switzerland) 53:17 (+ 02:04)
3. Lou Denaix (COCS) 56:38 (+ 05:25)
4. Aleth Lalire (ADO Chenôve) 1:01:45 (+ 10:32)
5. Hana Garde (OE 42) 1:02:43 (+ 11:30)
1. Cédric Beill (CO Colmar) 28:34 (+ 00:00)
2. Baptiste Fuchs (Tom Meaux) 28:37 (+ 00:03)
3. Florian Pinsard (AS Samois) 29:42 (+ 01:08)
4. Yoann Garde (OE 42) 30:41 (+ 02:07)
5. Samson Deriaz (ADO Chenôve) 31:12 (+ 02:38)
1. Christine Schaffner (Thömus Team Switzerland) 33:53 (+ 00:00)
2. Gaëlle Barlet (Scapa Nancy) 35:09 (+ 01:16)
3. Lou Denaix (COCS) 37:12 (+ 03:19)
4. Lou Garcin (ECHO 73) 37:47 (+ 03:54)
5. Hana Garde (OE 42) 38:14 (+ 04:21)
Complete results and further information at http://l-o-s0.wix.com/cf-vtt-raon2016.
[Photo: Loisir Orientation Sanchey / http://l-o-s0.wix.com/cf-vtt-raon2016]