Tiago Gingão Leal and Inês Aires were the Leiria City Race's big winners. The event took place last Sunday, joining nearly three hundred competitors.
On the occasion of the 18th edition of the popular RA4 Grand Prix, the COC – Clube de Orientação do Centro organized the Leiria City Race, urban race in Long Distance scoring for the Portugal City Race 2016. In what was the second most participated stage of the certamen so far, 274 competitors joined the party in the city of Leiria, fulfilling the open green spaces of downtown or running through the steep narrow streets around the medieval castle, in courses where the demand and the challenge proved to be proportional to the joy of finding a control after another.
In the Men Senior class, Tiago Gingão Leal (GD4C) was the only athlete to finish the course below the 60 minute's barrier, achieving a large winning of over ten minutes on Rafael Miguel (Ori-Estarreja), the second ranked. Winner of the Portugal City Race 2015, Gingão Leal reached his second victory in a row and begin to seriously threaten the leadership that still belongs to the Spanish Maikel Rodriguez (AROMON). In the Women Senior class, Inês Aires (Ori-Estarreja) reached the victory with a time of 1:18:09, beating Catarina Castelão (RA4) by the difference of 1:29. With this result, the young athlete from Estarreja rose up a couple of steps in the ranking, although without putting into question the leadership of Carolina Delgado (GD4C), winner of the previous edition of the Portugal City Race.
1. Tiago Gingão Leal (GD4C) 59:53 (+ 00:00)
2. Rafael Miguel (Ori-Estarreja) 1:10:13 (+ 10:20)
3. Luis Barreiro (NADA) 1:16:25 (+ 16:32)
4. Orlando Marques (RA4) 1:24:08 (+ 24:15)
5. Sérgio Contente (RA4) 1:25:01 (+ 25:08)
1. Inês Aires (Ori-Estarreja) 1:18:09 (+ 00:00)
2. Catarina Castelão (RA4) 1:19:38 (+ 01:29)
3. Marta Fonseca (ADFA) 1:21:17 (+ 03:08)
4. Sara Miranda (Individual) 1:36:45 (+ 18:36)
5. Inês Gonçalves (Ori-Estarreja) 1:43:14 (+ 25:05)
Full results and further information at http://www.coc.pt/as-nossas-provas/18-gp-ra4-leiria-city-race/.
[Photo: Cesar Conceição / facebook.com/cesar.conceicao]