With victories in Men and Women classes, respectively, the Norwegian teams of Nydalens SK and NTNUI were the great names of the Night Hawk relay's fourth edition.
The surroundings of the Norwegian capital, Oslo, hosted the fourth edition of the Night Hawk. With the participation of 189 teams, the race saw the Norwegian teams of Nydalens SK and NTNUI reaching the victories in the Men and Women classes, respectively. In the Men class, the Nydalens SK settled things already in the third leg, with Øystein Sørensen to escape from their opponents and an expressive advantage of 8:35 over the second team classified, the Sävedalens AIK. Finishing the night segment with a 6:22 lead over the Södertälje-Nykvarn Orientering and 7:09 on the Halden SK, Nydalens SK's athletes were able to handle the pressure from their opponents in the chasing start, finishing with an overall time of 6:17:16. Ikkalisten Nousev-Voima and Sävedalens AIK were ranked second and third, respectively, with more 8:42 and 9:51 than the winners.
The women's race was held in a more balanced way, with three different teams to lead at the end of each of the three legs of the night segment. With half of the race to contest, the lead belonged to Byåsen IL with 8 seconds on the NTNUI and 2:51 on Frol IL. In the daytime segment things began to be defined in the 4th leg, with NTNUI to reach an advantage of more than 1 minute, later extended to 5:58 in the 5th leg, to finish with a lead of 1:32 over the team of Halden SK, second placed. The third position went to Fredrikstad SK, with 3:03 more than the winners.
Fossum IL, Nydalens SK, Asker Skiklubb and Kongsberg OL also deserve a note, by winning the Mastermen, Masterwomen, Boys and Girls classes, respectively.
1. Nydalens SK (Håverd Haga, Anders Vister, Øystein Sørensen, Anders Nordberg, Eirik Langedal Breivik) 6:17:16 (+ 00:00)
2. Ikkalisten Nouseva-Voima (Aleksi Karppinen, Ville Parkkinen, Vesa Taanila, Eetu Savolainen, Olli-Markus Taivanen, Mikko Knuuttila) 6:25:59 (+ 08:42)
3. Sävedalens AIK (Johan Wikström, Sergey Fedatsenka, Marcus Millegård, Andrey Salin, Jonas Palm) 6:27:07 (+ 09:51)
4. Ärla IF (Emil Andersson, Viktor Silvemark, Robbin Kantarp, Petter Eriksson) 6:28:08 (+ 10:51)
5. Fredrikstad SK (Herman Ryen Martinsen, Christian Riddervold Kahrs, Håvard Lucasen, Hans Petter Mathisen, Audun Bjerkreim Nilsen, Mattias Karlsson) 6:28:36 (+ 11:19)
1. NTNUI (Maren Jansson Haverstad, Linn Hokholt, Sigrid Alexandersen, Linn Hokholt, Audhild Bakken Rognstad) 4:49:59 (+ 00:00)
2. Halden SK (Bodil Helgerud, Hanna Haugen Nordbrøden, Kine Hallan Steiwer, Lizzie Ingham, Hollie Orr) 4:51:32 (+ 01:32)
3. Fredrikstad SK (Mia Mathisen Bekhus, Marie Olaussen, Emma Johansson, Marir Kahrs, Heidi Østild Bagstevold) 4:53:03 (+ 03:03)
4. Nydalens SK (Ragne Wiklund, Anine Ahlsand, Malin Sørensen, Anne Margrethe Hausken Nordberg) 4:58:11 (+ 08:12)
5. Byåsen IL (Ragnhild Eide, Emma Arnesen, Ingeborg Eide) 5:03:56 (+ 13:57)
Complete results and further information at http://nighthawk.no/.
[Photo: Aapo Laiho / nighthawk.no]