With the victory of Ivica Bertol, ended in Cerkno, Slovenia, the 2016 Croatia-Italy-Slovenia Trail Orienteering Cup. The results in the last stage didn't change with the top of the overall standings, which had Remo Madella as the big winner, achieving his fourth title in the last five editions.
It was with great expectation that the Trail Orienteering fans followed the last stage of the 2016 Croatia-Italy-Slovenia Trail Orienteering Cup. After 15 stages distributed by the three host countries, we attended Cerkno with the doubt regarding the overall winner. The Italian Remo Madella was in the lead, but his absence in the last stage put maximum pressure on the Slovak Ján Furucz, which task was everything but easy: To get the overall winning, he “just” had to win the last stage or, at least, stand behind the winner by a difference not far from ten seconds. But when we talk about Ján Furucz we are talking about the gold medalist in the TrailO Relay of the recent World Championships, second placed in the TempO final of the 2015 World Championships and winner of the Croatia-Italy-Slovenia Trail Orienteering Cup last year. So, he was the favourite!
With the “intrincate” name of TempO, DP, SPOL, CIS, the event took place last Sunday, was organized by the OK Azimut and the course setter was Emil Kacin. The 26 athletes that headed Cerkno faced five timed stations, with six tasks each. A brief analysis of the race allows to realize that Ján Furucz was far from his best days. Despite being the fastest in the first four stations, Furucz missed four tasks and only a miracle could reverse the disadvantage of 81 seconds for the Croatian Ivica Bertol and 71 seconds for the Slovenian Krešo Keresteš, first and second classified, at the start for the last timed station. A similar performance of the three competitors in the final station eventually left everything in the same way, so Remo Madella, in the Canadian Rockies, more than 8,000 km away from Cerkno, could enjoy his fourth win in the last five editions of the trophy. One last note just to highlight Krešo Keresteš, getting here the Slovenian TempO title, and to the Croatian Iva Lovrec (OK Vihor) and the Italian Piergiorgio Zancanaro (ASD Padova Orienteering), winners of the 2016 Croatia-Italy-Slovenia Trail Orienteering Cup in the Junior and Paralympic classes, respectively.
TempO, DP, SPOL, CIS
1. Ivica Bertol (OK Vihor CRO) 208 seconds
2. Krešo Keresteš (OK Trzin SLO) 216 seconds
3. Ján Furucz (Farmaceut Bratislava SVK) 294 seconds
4. Ivo Tišljar (OK Orion CRO) 298 seconds
4. Susy De Pieri (Eridano Adventure A.S.D. ITA) 298 seconds
6. Zdenko Horjan (OK Vihor CRO) 320 seconds
CRO-ITA-SLO TrailO Cup 2016
1. Remo Madella (A.S.D. Vivaio ITA) 591.98 points
2. Ivica Bertol (OK Vihor CRO) 590.93 points
3. Krešo Keresteš (OK Trzin SLO) 590.47 points
4. Ján Furucz (Farmaceut Bratislava SVK) 588.83 points
5. Tomislav Varnica (OK Vihor CRO) 580.90 points
6. Dušan Furucz (Farmaceut Bratislava SVK) 579.67 points
7. Emil Kacin (OK Azimut SLO) 573.53 points
8. Zdenko Horjan (OK Vihor CRO) 568.42 points
9. Ivo Tišljar (OK Orion CRO) 555.07 points
10. Susy De Pieri (Eridano Adventure A.S.D. ITA) 549.52 points
[Photo courtesy of Krešo Keresteš]