Clube Português de Orientação e Corrida and Núcleo de Desporto Adaptado do Hospital da Prelada are the first TrailO Relay winners ever in Portugal. The event took place last Sunday and was attended by 33 competitors from six clubs.
Ferrel was, last Sunday afternoon, the venue of the Portuguese TrailO Relay Championships 2016. Organized by the Académico de Torres Vedras and having Claudio Tereso as course setter, the event ran on a seven control map, with three-competitor teams solving five tasks each element in the PreO and four tasks in the TempO station. Two teams in the Paralympic class and five teams in the Open class fought for the first National titles ever in this quite new and attractive format of Trail Orienteering.
Both from DAHP - Núcleo de Desporto Adaptado do Hospital da Prelada, the two Paralympic teams did a really close race, finishing the PreO segment with the same score of 540 seconds corresponding to 60% of wrong answers. Less accurate in the TempO segment but more faster than its opponents, DAHP 2 – with the international athletes Ricardo Pinto, Julio Guerra and Ana Paula Marques – could get the title by the narrow margin of two (!) seconds. In the Open class, the fight was also quite tight, although CPOC – Clube Português de Orientação e Corrida has been shown better than its opponents in the PreO, finishing with a good advantage of 120 seconds over the Ori-Estarreja – Clube de Orientação de Estarreja and COC – Clube de Orientação do Centro. In the TempO part, Ori-Estarreja could void the disadvantage after good performances of its two first team members, loosing the title in the very end. The key of CPOC's success was precisely in this last TempO leg, with Luís Gonçalves calling the gold to his team by the margin of 25,5 seconds. COC finished third with more 66,5 seconds than the winners.
During the morning, 7 competitors in the Paralympic class and 19 in the Open class participated in the Invacare PreO, the penultimate stage scoring for the Portuguese Cup in Trail Orienteering Invacare 2016. After a bad start, missing four out of the six first controls, Ricardo Pinto (DAHP) was able to do a clean race, finishing with 16 points and a comfortable advantage of 5 points over the second placed, Alexandre Guedes da Silva (Individual). Seven points after the winner, Cláudio Poiares got the third position. This was Pinto's sixth victory in the current season, reinforcing his leadership in the Portuguese TrailO Cup. In the Open Class, Nuno Pires (Ori-Estarreja) got the win after a hard fight with Luís Gonçalves (CPOC). Both athletes finished with 19 points out of 20 and both missed one task out of three in the timed controls. In the end, Pires was seven seconds faster than Gonçalves, getting a tasty victory, its first of the season. António Amador (Ori-Estarreja) reached the third place, with one point less than the winner.
TrailO Relay Championships
1. CPOC (Ana Porta Nova, Acácio Porta Nova, Luís Gonçalves) 523 seconds
2. Ori-Estarreja (Nuno Rebelo, Nuno Pires, António Amador) 548,5 seconds
3. COC (Paulo Olaio, José Bolrão, Inês Domingues) 589,5 seconds
4. GDU Azoia 2 (Pedro Cabeça, Noel Cabeça, Luísa Gaboleiro) 807,5 seconds
5. GDU Azoia 2 (Ana Casaca, Catarina Félix, Jorge Baltazar) 875 seconds
1. DAHP 2 (Júlio Guerra, Ana Paula Marques, Ricardo Pinto) 1022 seconds
2. DAHP 1 (Cláudio Poiares, António Amorim, José Laiginha Leal) 1024 seconds
Portuguese Cup in Trail Orienteering Invacare 2016
1. Nuno Pires (Ori-Estarreja) 19 points / 87 seconds
2. Luís Gonçalves (CPOC) 19 points / 94 seconds
3. António Amador (Ori-Estarreja) 18 points / 106 seconds
4. Grigas Piteira (GafanhOri) 18 points / 153 seconds
5. Jorge Baltazar (GDU Azoia) 17 points / 95 seconds
5. Inês Domingues (COC) 17 points / 95 seconds
1. Ricardo Pinto (DAHP) 16 points / 96 seconds
2. Alexandre Guedes da Silva (Individual) 11 points / 226 seconds
3. Cláudio Poiares (DAHP) 9 points / 183 seconds
4. Júlio Guerra (DAHP) 7 points / 166 seconds
5. Ana Paula Marques (DAHP) 7 points / 229 seconds
Complete results and further information at http://www.atv.pt/actividades/evento/5/918.
[Photo: Luís Sérgio / facebook.com/ACADEMICODETORRESVEDRAS]