The second edition of the Portugal City Race came to the end. Held in Aveiro, the last stage saw Anssi Vesanto and Elina Karklina reach the top of the podium. Maikel Rodriguez and Carolina Delgado were the winners of the overall standings.
Adapting to the Portuguese scale a successful model in Europe, the Portugal City Race met, in 2016, its second edition. The event started in Barcelos, on 13th March, extending over seven months to the cities of Braga, Vila do Conde, Viseu, Leiria, Águeda, Figueira da Foz and Porto, to finish today in the city of Aveiro, the “Venice of Portugal”, in a stage organized by the Clube de Orientação de Estarreja. Involving in the organizing effort a total of eight clubs, the Portugal City Race 2016 recorded 2200 athletes in the nine steps scoring to the event, to whom we must add close to 1700 participants in other activities, which included, in addition to the main stage, night races, Adapted Orienteering and Trail Orienteering.
Winning the first three stages of the Portugal City Race 2016, the Spanish Maikel Rodriguez (Budiñoraid) saw a successful trajectory interrupted in the following two stages by the Portuguese Tiago Gingão Leal (GD4C), winner of the Portugal City Race 2015. Although 100% successful, the participation of the Portuguese stopped there, opening to Rodriguez the chance of a comfortable triumph and that turned out to be entirely deserved. In the final stage, in Aveiro, Rodriguez finished in the second place with a time of 54:17 and two minutes after the winner, the Finnish Anssi Vesanto (Espoon Suunta). The Latvian Elina Karklina (Single) won the female Senior class with a time of 43:05, leaving Carolina Delgado (GD4C) in the second place, with more 24 seconds. With this result, Delgado took definitively the lead of the female ranking, ensuring the victory for the second year in a row. In terms of ranking, a total of 604 athletes scored for this year's Portugal City Race, distributed by 12 competition classes and one formation class.
Aveiro City Race
1. Anssi Vesanto (Espoon Suunta) 52:17 (+ 00:00)
2. Maikel Rodriguez (Budiñoraid) 54:17 (+ 02:00)
3. Edgar Domingues (COC) 56:04 (+ 03:47)
4. Luis Leite (GD4C) 58:24 (+ 06:07)
5. Miguel Nóbrega (CO Viseu – Natura) 1:00:20 (+ 08:03)
1. Elina Karklina (Individual LAT) 43:05 (+ 00:00)
2. Carolina Delgado (GD4C) 43:29 (+ 00:24)
3. Joana Fernandes (.COM) 48:12 (+ 05:07)
4. Susana Almeida (CO Viseu – Natura) 52:44 (+ 09:39)
5. Daniela Alves (AD Cabroelo) 53:55 (+ 10:50)
Portugal City Race 2016
1. Maikel Rodriguez (Budiñoraid) 578.7 points
2. Miguel Nóbrega (CO Viseu – Natura) 491.9 points
3. Carlos Viana (. COM) 454.9 points
4. Vasco Vinhas (Individual) 453.5 points
5. Ricardo Brito (OriMarão) 432.5 points
1. Carolina Delgado (GD4C) 490.1 points
2. Sara Miranda (Individual) 473.6 points
3. Céu Costa (GD4C) 468.8 points
4. Zélia Viana (.COM) 443.5 points
5. Carla Sousa (GD4C) 394.6 points
Junior M/W – Pedro Silva (AD Cabroelo) and Eduarda Moreira (AD Cabroelo)
Juvenil M/W – Rui Silva (AD Cabroelo) and Ana Castro (NAST)
Veterans1 M/W – Joaquim Sousa (COC) and Raquel Ferreira (Individual)
Veterans2 M/W – Jorge Silva (Amigos da Montanha) and Aida Correia (GD4C)
Veterans3 M/W – Costa Leite (Montepio Geral) and Beatriz Leite (Montepio Geral)
Formation – Alexandra Serra Campos (.COM)
All information at http://www.cityrace.pt/.