Angus Robinson and Camilla Søgaard got clear winnings during the first day of the 2016 New Zealand Mountain Bike Orienteering Championships & World Masters Series. Organized by the Orienteering Bay of Plenty, the event is taking place in Roturoa and counts with the presence of near 150 competitors from New Zealand, Australia, Denmark and Great Britain.
Kia Ora and welcome from the Orienteering Bay of Plenty organizing team. After a relaxed Warm Up event – a set of three mini sprints in Whakarewarewa Forest -, yesterday evening, the kick off of the New Zealand Mountain Bike Orienteering Championships' competitive program took place today, with a morning Sprint in Tihiotonga-Centennial Park, Waiariki Campus and the Rotorua Thermal Holiday Park and, in the afternoon, with the Middle Distance stage in Tui Ridge Park.
The Sprint courses were set on a new MTB Orienteering map, offering interesting challenges, both physically and technically. With a clean race, the Danish Camilla Søgaard managed to get the lead from the first control, reaching a comfortable four-minute winning over Marquita Gelderman, second placed. In the Men Open class, the Australian Angus Robinson was the winner after a good fight with Tom Spencer. A one-minute mistake in the last third of the course could be fatal to Robinson, but he was stronger than Spencer in the end, reaching the finish 24 seconds before his opponent.
During the afternoon, the MTBO tribe moved to Hamurana, for an exciting Middle Distance. Once again, Angus Robinson and Camilla Søgaard got the triumph in their respective classes, with Marquita Gelderman and Tom Spencer getting the second place. Both winners did some small mistakes but managed to be the fastest in the end. On their Facebook pages, Angus Robinson mentions a “sweet racing at the NZ MTBO champs in Rotorua today, taking out 1st place in both the sprint and middle distances with the long still to come tomorrow” and Camilla Søgaard talks about being “so happy doing MTBO again after almost 4 months and with such great tracks here in New Zealand. Had a clean race on the sprint and only a few mistakes on the middle but still managed to win like a boss”.
1. Angus Robinson OTH 22:05 (+ 00:00)
2. Tom Spencer TK 22:29 (+ 00:24)
3. Gene Beveridge NW 23:54 (+ 01:49)
4. Greg Flynn BP 25:09 (+ 03:04)
5. Magnus Bengtsson WN 25:48 (+ 03:43)
1. Camilla Søgaard OTH 19:58 (+ 00:00)
2. Marquita Gelderman NW 24:07 (+ 04:09)
3. Georgia Skelton CM 25:00 (+ 05:02)
4. Angela Pratt NC 26:31 (+ 06:33)
5. Tui Hambrook BP 31:32 (+ 11:34)
1. Angus Robinson OTH 51:10 (+ 00:00)
2. Tom Spencer TK 54:13 (+ 03:03)
3. Gene Beveridge NW 55:45 (+ 04:35)
4. Tommy Hayes AK 1:00:18 (+ 09:08)
5. Greg Flynn BP 1:01:00 (+ 09:50)
1. Camilla Søgaard OTH 47:19 (+ 00:00)
2. Marquita Gelderman NW 48:50 (+ 01:31)
3. Georgia Skelton CM 53:34 (+ 06:15)
4. Sarah Gilkison NC 1:00:46 (+ 13:27)
5. Tui Hambrook BP 1:04:41 (+ 17:22)
Complete results and further information at http://www.mtbochamps.nz/.
[Photo: Angus Robinson / Facebook.com]