Manuel Horta and Raquel Costa achieved the Portuguese Absolute titles of the current season. A double victory of the colors of GafanhOri, crowning a weekend lived intensely in the beautiful terrains of Viana do Alentejo.
Putting an end to the 2016 Foot orienteering season, the Portuguese Absolute Championships saw its 14th edition taking place in Viana do Alentejo, in the south of Portugal. Organized by the Clube da Natureza de Alvito and the Clube de Orientação e Aventura do Litoral Alentejano, the event registered the presence of over four hundred athletes, 311 of which in the direct fight for the Absolute title, and 104 athletes in Open and Initiation classes.
Contested in the Middle Distance, the qualifying courses of the first day were almost a promenade for Tiago Romão and Raquel Costa, both from GafanhOri, who got the best times in the male and female sectors, respectively. The four-minute lead by Tiago Romão over the second-placed, Manuel Horta (GafanhOri), clearly showed a firm will to revalidate the title achieved a year ago, in Figueira da Foz. But in Orienteering - as in everything else -, there aren't two days the same and Manuel Horta was still there, searching for a title that escaped him in the previous two years. In the decisive stage, Manuel Horta and Tiago Romão fought a “fratricidal” duel, running shoulder to shoulder over the 8460 meters of their courses, to finish separated by 35 seconds and with the advantage to fall, this time, to Manuel Horta's side. Pedro Nogueira got the third place with the time of 54:42.
In the Women qualifying, Raquel Costa was able to impose on Carolina Delgado (GD4C) by a margin close to two minutes, but everything would be smoother in the Final. In fact, the 5:50 advantage over the second ranked, the junior Filipa Rodrigues (ADFA), allows to understand a peaceful return to victories in the Absolute Championships, after a four-season fasting. Absolute Champion in 2015, Mariana Moreira (CPOC) finished in the 3rd place with more 6:19 than the winner. ADFA - Associação de Deficientes das Forças Armadas and COC - Clube de Orientação do Centro achieved the collective titles in the male and female categories, respectively.
1. Manuel Horta (GafanhOri) 51:35 (+ 00:00)
2. Tiago Romão (GafanhOri) 52:10 (+ 00:35)
3. Pedro Nogueira (ADFA) 54:42 (+ 03:07)
4. Rafael Miguel (Ori-Estarreja) 55:00 (+ 03:25)
5. Alberto Branco (CP Armada) 55:23 (+ 03:48)
6. Jorge Correia (ADFA) 55:45 (+ 04:10)
7. João Bernardino (COC) 59:18 (+ 07:43)
8. Ricardo Esteves (ADFA) 59:35 (+ 08:00)
9. Gildo Silva (COC) 1:01:48 (+ 10:13)
10. Davide Machado (.COM) 1:04:40 (+ 13:05)
1. Raquel Costa (GafanhOri) 48:16 (+ 00:00)
2. Filipa Rodrigues (ADFA) 54:06 (+ 05:50)
3. Mariana Moreira (CPOC) 54:35 (+ 06:19)
4. Susana Pontes (COC) 57:50 (+ 09:34)
5. Patrícia Casalinho (COC) 1:00:47 (+ 12:31)
6. Rita Rodrigues (GafanhOri) 1:04:14 (+ 15:58)
7. Carolina Delgado (GD4C) 1:07:40 (+ 19:24)
8. Carla Saraiva (Ori-Estarreja) 1:08:38 (+ 20:22)
9. Joana Marques (Ori-Estarreja) 1:09:50 (+ 21:34)
10. Helena Lima (COC) 1:10:23 (+ 22:07)
Complete results and further information at http://cnabsoluto2016.weebly.com/.