Monday, February 27, 2017

Lucas Basset: "Even unexpected, it was a great win"



One week after winning the two WRE stages of the Rainha Santa Trophy / Beira Litoral O' Meeting 2017, Lucas Basset was, once again, the fastest in a stage scoring for the IOF World Orienteering Ranking. It was at Norte Alentejano O' Meeting 2017, the “queen stage” of the Portugal O' Meeting 2017. Really happy with the victory, the French shared his thoughts with the Portuguese Orienteering Blog, along a nice and relaxing talk.


Did you expect to win?

Lucas Basset (L. B.) - To be honest, I didn't think too much about it. It was a hard and good training week and I was quite tired. I didn't know which way my legs would be able to react; so, even unexpected, it was a great win and I'm really happy.

What did you think about the race?

L. B. - I loved it. It's the type of Middle Distance that I really like, very fast but also very technical. It was really nice, with a precious map, quite well detailed. There wasn't too much climbing and you could keep a good pace along the course. Like every time at POM, the start field was quite strong and it's always a pleasure when you get ahead.

So, the perfect start of the season.

L. B. - Yes. Three WRE courses, three wins. Even if it doesn't mean too much this time of the season, it's always cool. It's better than not being in good shape, definitely (laughs).

Let me ask you about 2016. How do you rate the last season?

L. B. - I'm very happy with my season. In 2015, I reached some super-results in Scotland, during the World Orienteering Championships, and I didn't know if it was a fluke, the shape of my life or something else. I had to find my real level and, in the last season, I could prove to myself that I'm in the group of the world's best.

What about 2017? Is your attention focused on the World Orienteering Championships?

L. B. - Yes, like every year, WOC is the goal. We'll see what I can do. Estonia, it makes you wish to be there. I've been to Estonia last September and I liked a lot. I'll focus on the Middle Distance, it's my favourite distance, the one that I feel better, that I'm better, I think. Mainly, I'm waiting for a great result in the Relay. There's an “old aged” that will leave and it will be his last chance... (laughs).

The Portugal O' Meeting 2017 will end tomorrow. Do you still think in the overall win?

L. B. - No, no. I kept my strength on yesterday's stage and I'm out of battle. I think I'll manage to finish the course, taking profit of such beautiful terrains. Even if I'm very tired, I'll enjoy my last course in Portugal this year.

Joaquim Margarido

No comments:

Post a Comment