Nelson Baroca and Paula Rodrigues were the winners of the 5th Madeira Orienteering Festival 2017. Attended by 160 participants, the event spread over four days and offered five stages, two of Sprint and three of Middle Distance.
For the fifth time in its history, the Clube de Montanha do Funchal organized the Madeira Orienteering Festival. Funchal, Porto Moniz, Machico and Santa Cruz, four Municipalities with excellent conditions for the sport, joined hands, being perfect stages for four days of demanding and challenging Orienteering. Scoring for Madeira Portuguese Orienteering Federation League 2017, the event gathered 160 participants from Denmark, Finland, France, Switzerland, Sweden and Portugal.
Nelson Baroca (CA Madeira) was unbeatable in the Men Elite class, achieving five winnings in as much stages. Sidónio Freitas (CMo Funchal) reached the second position, after a tight fight with António Abreu (ACDJS). Paula Rodrigues (LCM) won the Women Elite class, after victories in three out of five stages. Sónia Silva (GDE) reached the other two victories and one second place, but skipped two stages and finished in the second position overall. The third place was taken by Adriana Ladeira (CA Madeira).
1. Nelson Baroca (CA Madeira) 6976.28 points
2. Sidónio Freitas (CMo Funchal) 5613.90 points
3. António Abreu (ACDJS) 5329.51 points
4. Tiago Gil (LCM) 4721.01 points
5. José Henriques (CA Madeira) 4348.15 points
1. Paula Rodrigues (LCM) 5801.10 points
2. Sónia Silva (GDE) 3541.56 points
3. Adriana Ladeira (CA Madeira) 3452.71 points
4. Inês Fernandes (LCM) 3328.56 points
5. Nélia Sousa (CA Madeira) 1916.72 points
For maps, results, (excellent) photos and further information, please visit the event's webpage at http://oricmof.wixsite.com/mof17-ingles.
[Photo: Tiago Sousa / Clube de Montanha do Funchal]