Portugal O’ Meeting 2017's kick off, in Aldeia da Mata, couldn’t be better. A perfect weather, demanding courses and, in the end, Olav Lundanes and Nadiya Volynska winning comfortably the Middle Distance stage on the first day.
Alter do Chão, in the North Alentejo region, is hosting by this days the 22nd edition of the Portugal O’ Meeting. More than 2,300 competitors from 36 nations headed the event which had, this morning, its first stage. In the Women Elite class, the Ukrainian Nadiya Volynska (OK Orion) started quite early and, from the very first moment, she showed very confident, very fast, taking really good route choices and reaching here a good advantage that she was able to keep all the way till the end. Volynska finished the 4.7 km of her course with the time of 33:43, large 2:30 over Lizzie Ingham (Halden SK) and Emma Johansson (Fredrikstad SK), both in the second position with the same time. Great figure of the Portugal O' Meeting, which on for six times, Simone Niggli (OK Tisaren) finished her course in the fourth position, with the time of 36:19.
As for the Men Super Elite, Olav Lundanes showed why he's the World Ranking leader, achieving a great winning with 33:25 for 6.4 km of his course. A great start of the Portugal O' Meeting for the Norwegian, now with the colours of Paimion Rasti. Joahn Runesson (Tampereen Pyrintö) and Frederic Tranchand (Paimion Rasti), got the second and third position, respectively with more 1:15 and 1:16 than the winner. Gustav Bergman (OK Ravinen) finished in the fourth position with the time of 35:18, while the fifth position went to the Lucas Basset (OK Linné) and the five times winner of Portugal O' Meeting Thierry Gueorgiou, both with the time of 36:17. In the Men Elite, Rafal Podzinski (PNT) was stronger than his opponents, winning with the time of 40:15. Assar Hellström (OK Ravinen) was the second placed with 41:17, while João Mega Figueiredo (CN Alvito) got the third place, 1:03 after the winner.
1. Olav Laundanes (Paimion Rasti) 33:25 (+ 00:00)
2. Johan Runesson (Tampereen Pyrintö) 34:40 (+ 01:15)
3. Frederic Tranchand (Paimion Rasti) 34:41 (+ 01:16)
4. Gustav Bergman (OK Ravinen) 35:18 (+ 01:53)
5. Lucas Basset (OK Linné) 36:17 (+ 02:52)
5. Thierry Gueorgiou (Kalevan Rasti) 36:17 (+ 02:52)
1. Nadiya Volynska (OK Orion) 33:43 (+ 00:00)
2. Lizzie Ingham (Halden SK) 36:13 (+ 02:30)
3. Emma Johansson (Fredrikstad SK) 36:13 (+ 02:30)
4. Simone Niggli (OK Tisaren) 36:19 (+ 02:36)
5. Helena Jansson (OK Ravinen) 36:33 (+ 02:50)
1. Rafal Podzinski (PNT) 40:15 (+ 00:00)
2. Assar Hellström (OK Ravinen) 41:17 (+ 01:02)
3. João Mega Figueiredo (CN Alvito) 41:18 (+ 01:03)
4. Jakob Andersson (OK Linné) 41:41 (+ 01:26)
5. Topi Anjala (Koovee) 41:45 (+ 01:30)
Complete results and further information at http://pom.pt/en/.