Thierry Gueorgiou and Simone Niggle were the winners of POM 2017's second stage. Returning to Aldeia da Mata for another beautiful sunny day, both athletes showed why they are the best orienteers ever, leading a really strong start field.
Thierry Gueorgiou (Kalevan Rasti) won the Long Distance stage on the second day of Portugal O' Meeting 2017 . In a quite demanding course, particularly from a physical point a view, the French kept an intense duel with Albin Ridefelt (Ok Linné), finishing with a short nine-second advantage. Gueorgiou spent 1:36:10 in a eighteen-kilometer course, against Ridefelt's 1:36:19. Frederic Tranchand and Olav Lundanes, both from Paimion Rasti, were third and fourth placed with more 2:30 and 3:05, respectively, than Thierry. Andreu Blanes (Colivenc) achieved a great fifth position, finishing his course 4:16 after the winner. In the 45th place, with 1:57:31, Manuel Horta (GafanhOri) was the best Portuguese athlete in the Men Super Elite class.
After a three-year gap, Simone Niggli (OK Ravinen) returned to Portugal and to the victories in the Portugal O' Meeting. Keeping the focus during all race, she was able to be consistent enough to complete the 11.3 km of the race in 1:12:37, the best time today in the Women Elite class. Eva Jurenikova (Halden SK) got the second place with a three-minute disadvantage from Simone. Ida Marie Naess Bjoergul (Paimion Rasti) was third with 1:16:37, Karoliina Sundberg (Lynx) was a surprising fourth placed with 1:19:23 and Lizzie Ingham (Halden SK) finished in the fifth position, 7:24 after the winner. The best Portuguese athete was Mariana Moreira (CPOC) in the 18th position with the time of 1:30:23. As in the Men Super Elite class, the Men Elite class' course had 18.0 km and the fastest was Johan Ek-Larsson (SNO) with the time of 1:54:33. Yesterday's winner, Rafal Podzinski (PNT), got the second place, one minute after Ek-Larsson. Podzinski reinforced his leading position in this class, while Thierry Gueorgiou and Simone Niggli are the new leaders of the Men Super Elite class and the Women Elite class, respectively.
Men Super Elite
1. Thierry Gueorgiou (Kalevan Rasti) 1:36:10 (+ 00:00)
2. Albin Ridefelt (OK Linné) 1:36:19 (+ 00:09)
3. Frederic Tranchand (Paimion Rasti) 1:38:40 (+ 02:30)
4. Olav Lundanes (Paimion Rasti) 1:39:15 (+ 03:05)
5. Andreu Blanes (Colivenc) 1:40:16 (+ 04:06)
1. Simone Niggli (OK Tisaren) 1:12:37 (+ 00:00)
2. Eva Jurenikova (Halden SK) 1:15:39 (+ 03:02)
3. Ida Marie Naess Bjoergul (Paimion Rasti) 1:16:37 (+ 04:00)
4. Karoliina Sundberg (Lynx) 1:19:23 (+ 06:46)
5. Lizzie Ingham (Halden SK) 1:20:01 (+ 07:24)
1. Johan Ek-Larsson (SNO) 1:54:33 (+ 00:00)
2. Rafal Podzinski (PNT) 1:55:33 (+ 01:00)
3. Timon Schweizer (Individual SUI) 2:01:58 (+ 07:25)
4. Ken Peeters (OK Linné) 2:03:50 (+ 09:17)
5. Emil Andersson (Ärla IF) 2:04:57 (+ 10:24)
To see the complete results, please visit the event's webpage at http://pom.pt/en/.